Payroll Foundation Skills (Level 1)
Staff new to payroll or who act as a back up to payroll and small business owners that need an understanding of how to process a basic payroll for their employees.
Payroll is one of the largest costs a business has and it is important that staff that are involved in payroll fully understand how payroll is processed and the different steps and requirements (legislative and agreed terms) impact on its processing.
If payroll is not processed in a structured and logical way it can easily become non-compliant the result can then mean that employees are not paid correctly and the employer is put at risk of penalties and fines from external agencies and challenges from their own employees.
This entry level payroll course covers off the basic payroll process steps and payroll activities that are present in any payroll (manually processed or using a computerised payroll application).
It will provide new payroll staff with a clear understanding of what the steps are and why they are done.
Over the three days participants will learn payroll processing through doing a range of hands on practical exercises in relation to each step of the payroll process.
This will be done through using a range of payroll systems. On the third day each participant will do a full payroll run process as in depth practice exercise.
Each participant will be provided with a comprehensive course manual full of references that also includes templates and basic payroll process steps and procedures.
- Overview of the payroll process
- How to setup new employees and prepare final pays for terminated employees
- How to gather employee time data
- What basic payroll documentation is required
- How employees are taxed
- What types of government and agency deductions are processed in payroll
- Overview of KiwiSaver payroll requirements
- Payroll timeframes and deadlines
- Filing and reporting requirements (externally)
- Payroll process checks, verification and sign off
- What payroll reports to provide to the business
- Payroll record management
- Understanding the relationship between payroll, finance and HR
- Run a practice payroll run end to end
At the end of this session the learner will be able to:
- Describe the end to end payroll process
- List the payroll process steps and what is required for each step and to ensure payroll is kept compliant
- Describe all the elements n that are involve in processing a pay
- Run a practice pay run
Non-member Price: NZ$1,495.00 + GST
If you are an NZPPA Member, logon to get member pricing