Payroll for Non-Payroll Practitioners
Managers, Human Resource practitioners and anyone involved in working with or managing payroll activities within their organisation that want to get a better understanding of what payroll actually involves.
Payroll covers one of the largest costs any business has being the cost of labour. If Payroll is not managed, configured and monitored correctly it can become a major risk to the business in regard to legislative requirements and in meeting the terms and conditions of employment provided to employees.
For this reason managers and other positions that interact with payroll need to have a greater understanding on what payroll actually does, and what it needs from the business to be effective.
This workshop will be practical in nature so participants can ask questions relevant to their environment and each participant will be provided with a comprehensive manual they can use back in their workplace.
- Understanding what is involved in processing payroll (end to end process and related steps).
- An overview of the main legislative requirements and how they are conducted in a payroll system, including:
- Holidays Act 2003
- Parental Leave & Employment Protection Act
- Allowances (Non-taxable and reimbursing)
- Superannuation & KiwiSaver
- Payroll record keeping requirements
- Involving payroll in decisions that impact on payroll and why this is important.
- What needs to be included in employment agreements to assist payroll.
- Checks, monitoring and security to make payroll secure.
- Use of technology to make payroll efficient.
- Using basic payroll measures to assess payroll performance.
- What is an effective structure for payroll in your business?
- Training, support and developing payroll practitioners.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages to have an in-house and outsourced payroll?
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Know how payroll functions effectively in a business.
- Explain the essential legislative requirements in relation to payroll and why they are done that way.
- Identify the risk areas in payroll and how they can be avoided.
- Know what payroll needs to be effectively run within the business.
Non-member Price: NZ$1,095.00 + GST
If you are an NZPPA Member, logon to get member pricing